The City of Temple, TX contracted TMI Coatings Inc. (TMI) to perform clarifier restoration and painting on a clarifier; it was the 3rd clarifier they hired TMI to complete in 3 years.
Before work began TMI completed a Job Hazard Analysis for the City. Some of the many items that were analyzed to ensure safety was the operation of heavy equipment, welding, sandblasting, and fire hazards. TMI completed numerous repairs in tandem with the new coating system. The clarifier is made of both steel and concrete substrates; parts of each of the substrates are in immersion service. For the steel areas of the clarifier, a multiple-coat system was applied. For the concrete areas, Xypex spray mortar waterproofing was applied.
Interior Steel areas:
- To ensure proper coating adhesion, the steel surfaces were first abrasive blasted to SSPC-SP 10 Near White Metal Blast. This coating standard removes dust, coating, and mill scale.
- Spent abrasive samples were sent to an off-site laboratory for analysis.
- In order to contain the blast media, TMI installed a temporary tarpaulin roof cover supported with steel cables.
- Ventilation along with the use of a 45,000 cfm dust collector was employed by TMI Coatings to ensure a safe working environment.
- TMI maintained continuous explosion-proof ventilation during surface preparation, coating application, between coats, and cure.
- All blasted areas were primed.
- The prime coat applied to all the blasted steel of the clarifier was a zinc-rich aromatic urethane. This primer provides outstanding long-term corrosion resistance.
- A stripe coat of polyamidoamine epoxy was then applied to all weld seams, edges, corners, bolts, and pits. These areas are especially vulnerable to corrosion, so applying a stripe coat ensures extra protection. The polyamidoamine epoxy offers high-build edge protection.
- To the lower steel, a high solids polyamine epoxy was applied at 12-15 mils. This coating offers high-build edge protection and excellent corrosion resistance. It also provides excellent resistance to abrasion.
- To the upper steel, two additional layers of coating were applied. An epoxy intermediate coat and a finish coat of an aliphatic polyester polyurethane provided additional color retention and UV resistance. The finish coat is an extremely hard, chemical-resistant urethane coating with excellent resistance to abrasion.
- TMI also completed repairs, exterior coating and interior waterproofing to the concrete surfaces utilizing Xypex.
Restoring America’s infrastructure is or mission. We are inspired by projects like this that require the specialty and skill of TMI Coatings trained field workers. Each project like this is made possible by the skill and talent of TMI Coatings staff and crew members. TMI Coatings was recommended for additional work by the Project Engineer. TMI’s quality of work, cooperation with staff, cooperation with the public, and timely performance were all rated great!
With 35 years of experience, TMI Coatings will have your project completed on time and within budget. Contact us today atfor your free, no obligation quote.