A large life insurance company in Minneapolis, MN, contracted TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) to restore and coat a decorative concrete pond in their courtyard. The concrete pond had begun to crack and erode due to constant water immersion. After visiting the site, discussing with the owner, and understanding the application, TMI elected to install a urethane elastomer coating system.
- Removed all the rocks from the pond and safely relocated them to a location that would not interfere with the flow of foot traffic.
- Worked closely with the owner to ensure that all sensitive equipment and decorative areas near the pond were covered and protected throughout the project.
- Mechanically abraded all concrete surfaces using diamond grinders with vacuum attachments to clean and create an anchor pattern for new coating adhesion.
- Chipped/routed out all loose and damaged concrete and restored the damaged areas to the surrounding plane using an epoxy mortar mix.
- Installed epoxy primer to the concrete. (This helps seal the concrete and reduce the effect that outgassing has on the final coating system.)
- Trowel applied a unique formulation of urethane elastomer over any areas with large bug holes or crevices in the concrete.
- Finally, we applied two full coats of urethane elastomer to all surfaces.
TMI successfully installed the urethane elastomer coating system on all surfaces of the concrete pond. This coating is suitable for both metal and concrete surfaces exposed to excessive moisture, up to and including constant immersion in water. This thick film, heavy-duty system has a quick cure time to help minimize the downtime needed for installation.