A billion-dollar grain company hired TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) to restore a quarter-mile of their concrete silo roofs. These concrete silos store grain: therefore, a durable and properly coated roof is necessary. The cooperative’s concrete silo roofs were leaking because of the previous coatings age and inability to withstand ponding water.
TMI suggested using a urethane elastomer coating, which is resistant to changing seasons, mold, mildew, and corrosion. This coating ensures that the structure of the silo remains in good shape while also providing a durable waterproof seal. Also, TMI was hired to install anchor points on the silo roof due to a lack of tie-off points for fall protection. This allowed the cooperative to access the roof safely in the future.
- We installed permanent anchor points approximately every 40’ for fall protection. We rotated between installing larger four-bolt plates and D rings to ensure the durability and longevity of the safety equipment.
- Locate anchor point, drill. TMI also caulked all holes from the topside as we were setting the anchors in place to ensure a proper seal when installing bolts.
- Remove all loose, inferior roofing by high-pressure washing, hand grinding, scraping, and sandblasting.
- Restore eroded concrete to the surrounding plane using rapid-setting repair mortar.
- Apply asphalt-based urethane elastomer roof coating at 60 mils dry film thickness.
- Apply protective primer to bare metal.
- Prepare and coat all penetrations and up wall/roof junctures for a thorough seal.
- Apply first coat of urethane elastomer, and lightly sprinkle aggregate into first coat.
- Apply a second coat of urethane elastomer. Lightly and uniformly broadcast with white roofing granules.
After the job, the location manager said, “Overall very happy with the work; the guys did a great job.” The silo roof was successfully and safely waterproofed while following OSHA standards for fall protection. This specific coating is a staple for TMI Coatings when waterproofing silos because it also prevents rust and erosion. The coating also expands and contracts with changes in the weather which helps prevent cracks, chips, and peeling. The customer has contracted with TMI to do the same work elsewhere in the U.S.
With over 35 years of experience, TMI Coatings will have your project completed on time and within budget. Contact us today at for your free, no obligation quote.