Hot Project, Freezing Temperatures
TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) recently installed a containment dike lining for an expanding medical company. The customer needed the outdoor containment dike ready for service as soon as possible, requiring the work to be completed in January during sub-zero temperatures. TMI has considerable experience completing containment dike lining projects for all types of companies that include: utilities, chemical, food processing, agriculture, and manufacturing.
- TMI erected a temporary enclosure and heated the area to allow for lining installation and proper material cure.
– Indirect heat was used to heat the area and apply the coating safely.
– Zero-degree overnights and 55° minimum temperature requirements for proper cure challenged heating options.
– The dike needed to be heated around the clock. 24-hour heat required overnight supervision and fueling.
- Next, we mechanically abraded all surfaces per material specifications.
- Due to the containment being new concrete, all the bug holes on the walls had to be filled with epoxy mortar before applying the system.
- FIBERLIFE lining system was applied; the material consists of layers of fiberglass reinforced mat saturated in a chemical resistant vinyl ester resin.
- In-between coats of the mat, TMI sanded it to eliminate any rough areas and voids in the chemical resistant lining.
- A flood (seal) coat was added to ensure a pinhole-free finish before the final coat.
- A final wax coat was added to all surfaces for added chemical resistance.
- The floor was broadcast with aggregate on the final coat for slip resistance when the containment dike is put into service.
The FIBERLIFE lining system was chosen due to its high chemical resistance against hydrogen peroxide. To complete this work, TMI’s crew members worked long hours, including overnights and weekends, to allow the owner to use the containment dike immediately after our work was completed.
With over 35 years of experience, TMI Coatings will have your project completed on time and within budget. Contact us today at for your free, no-obligation quote.