Hormel, the company most known for packaging SPAM, was experiencing deterioration at one of its many food processing plants – specifically in one of their cooler rooms. TMI Coatings was hired to resolve their issue of continuous peeling paint issues on their cooler room walls. Prior to our work, the walls could not withstand constantly wet environments. The FIBERLIFE system was chosen due to its strong durability, however, the cooler room was far too cold to properly install this coating. Our experienced staff devised a solution.
TMI Coatings’ service was rated as “Excellent” by Kevin LaForge, a facility manager at Hormel Foods.
- Mechanically abraded all surfaces to remove loose and delaminating material.
- Set up temporary construction heat to keep the wall dry and heat up the substrate for proper surface adhesion.
- Repaired surfaces by filling holes to the level of the surrounding plane by using an epoxy mortar and Aerosil mixture.
- Installed the FIBERLIFE system:
- Applied a full coat of resin.
- Embedded a fiberglass mat into the resin.
- Applied an additional coat of resin to cover the fiberglass mat.
- Allowed to cure, then smoothed out any irregularities in the coat.
- Applied a final top coat of No-Sag resin to ensure all glass fibers are covered.
Despite facing incompatible surface conditions, TMI improvised to ensure excellent adhesion with one of our most popular products. The FIBERLIFE system is a fiberglass-reinforced coating that can be applied to walls, ceilings, floors, beams, columns, and equipment. It has strong durability and will not peel or flake under wet and humid conditions. This system is suitable for incidental food contact – making it a good fit for this meat processing plant.
With 35 years of experience, TMI Coatings will have your project completed on time and within budget. Contact us today at for your free, no obligation quote.