Food safety is a priority for food manufacturers. A PepsiCo company called TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) to assist one of the largest food manufacturers in the world because they were having problems with their corn meal tanks. The existing lining failed due to poor surface preparation by another contractor before installing the original tank lining. Within ten days of receiving the contract, TMI was on-site to start the project.
We made a plan to access the tall tanks, each 71’ tall, safely. We submitted our rigging and confined space place for approval. We mobilized our field men and TMI’s equipment 1,000 miles from our corporate office to the customer location.
- The owner removed the existing corn meal and rinsed the tanks before we arrived on site.
- We sandblasted to SSPC-SP10 Near White Metal Blast and verified the anchor pattern 2.5-3.5 mils with Replica Tape.
- Pre-baked the tank with heat to remove all the contaminants.
- Stripe coated all weld seams and flanges.
- We applied two full coats of a USDA-approved Teflon-rich epoxy coating at a total dry film thickness of 12-15 mils.
- Finally, TMI baked the tanks for food safety and increased the chemical resistance of the epoxy coating system.
TMI started and completed this project quickly as the owner needed the corn meal tanks placed in service immediately. We have the knowledge, experience, and crew power to complete time-sensitive work, minimize downtime and permit our customers to run at total capacity – another successful tank lining project by TMI Coatings. Safety. Quality. On-time. In that order.