One of the US’s largest fruit and vegetable processors called on TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) to restore critical structural steel in one of its facilities. The structural steel was vital as it supported a mezzanine area with hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of essential equipment. With help from the owner, TMI devised a plan to complete this work over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend with minimal disruption to their hectic food packaging production schedule.
- TMI erected scaffold to access all areas and covered all sensitive areas near the workspace, including conveyors, machines, and other items touching food products.
- To remove contaminates, TMI solvent wiped all the supports. Also, as part of surface preparation, TMI mechanically abraded 100% of the steel to create an anchor profile and remove rust utilizing handheld diamond grinders with vacuum attachments to collect dust.
- A primer coat of 100% solids epoxy coating was then applied.
- After the primer was cured, TMI applied a coat of epoxy resin, embedded mat reinforcement into the wet resin, and flood-coated it with additional resin.
- Finally, TMI sanded any rough edges for a smooth-like finish and put a final topcoat on.
The food packaging company received a long-lasting, durable coating system that will withstand constant moisture and high humidity without chipping, peeling, or cracking like traditional paint systems. TMI is an expert contractor when peeling paint is causing issues at your production facility. Another project was completed on time, properly, and most importantly, safely.