Once corrosion is present on a steel tank, it becomes widespread, especially in a process water tank that has condensation on the tank exterior most of the year. The ethanol producer called on TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) to assist them with a complete overhaul of their process water tank. TMI completed this work in the fall when temperatures were cooler, and the tank was not experiencing condensation due to the cold water inside of the tank.
- TMI safely rigged the tank and poly covered sensitive monitors and other items not being painted.
- TMI then high pressure washed with rotating tips to thoroughly clean the tank of all dirt, dust, and loose/flaking paint. In areas of loose coating or rust, we also ground and wire brush cleaned the surface.
- We applied a rust-inhibiting two-component epoxy by brush and roller. Epoxies offer very good corrosion protection.
- We top coated the tank by brush and roller with a cold-temperature urethane with excellent gloss retention and UV stability. Applying paint by brush and roller reduces overspray risk.
- Finally, the cage, ladder, and handrail received two coats of safety red, so they are visible to all employees working on site for the ethanol producer.
The ethanol producer was extremely happy with the work TMI completed. Not only did the facility transform its worst looking tank, but it is also prevents corrosion for many years to come. TMI Coatings. Safety. Quality. On-time. In that order.