Three semi-truck loads of flooring materials later, this 40,000 square foot decades-old hangar floor was restored to new by TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI). TMI completed installation weeks before the project deadline allowing for occupancy much earlier than scheduled. Safety. Quality. On-Time.
For one of our largest projects completed this year, TMI installed a hybrid resinous flooring system in a large aircraft maintenance hangar for the United States Air Force (USAF). The project required thorough planning and preparation from both sides.
During the planning phase, TMI recommended an alternate flooring system that would perform better and achieve a more consistent finish than the specified. After thorough evaluation by the government, a change was made to the more durable system at no additional cost.
- Prepared the hangar floor for installation by:
- Removing all existing epoxy flooring down to sound concrete using a combination of shotblasting and grinding.
- Routed out all floor joints to remove sealant.
- Sounded out floor and removed all loose/damaged concrete.
- Restored all non-moving joints, cracks, and damaged concrete areas to the surrounding plane.
- Installed integral resinous coving along the floor/wall junctures.
- Installed a four coat hybrid resinous flooring system consisting of a cementitious urethane primer, self-leveling cementitious urethane base coat, self-leveling epoxy mortar body coat, and final urethane topcoat.
- Installed new backer rod and flexible sealant in the primary isolation/expansion joints.
- Installed new markings, lines stripes, and non-skid tape.
TMI took all necessary precautions to ensure safety during the entire project – something the United States Air Force does not take lightly – and neither do we. This project included full removal of the existing epoxy flooring to ensure reliable performance of the new self-leveling system. The hangar floor is subject to extreme loads by large aircraft, frequent aircraft washdowns, and exposure to fuel, oil, and other chemicals. Just as our servicemen continually serve us, this flooring system will serve them for years to come.
After project completion, the Contracting Officer stated “Communication with TMI has been very good. Everyone has been happy with TMI.”
With 35 years of experience, TMI Coatings will have your project completed on time and within budget. Contact us today at for your free, no obligation quote.