TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) was contracted by a renowned hospital to complete a helipad restoration project by applying a new coating system to the surface. The original coatings were heavily worn, which caused the underlying steel to deteriorate, and it provided poor visibility for the helicopter pilots looking to land. TMI strived to create a safer pad, restore its structural integrity, and paint a new logo on the helipad all in this one helipad restoration project.
- Mechanically abraded all pad areas to create a suitable profile for new coating adhesion. Removed all loose and delaminating material from the helipad.
- Safely disposed of all of this material and any debris caused from surface preparation.
- Applied a primer coat to the metal substrate for adhesion and corrosion protection.
- Applied a multi-coat system to the entire area.
- Added aggregate to the surface to provide slip-resistance texture to ensure safety for medical transportation from the helicopter to the hospital doors.
- Applied an intricate logo to the center of the helipad.
The coating system applied to the helipad consisted of multiple coats of Sherwin Williams industrial coatings. The top coat was a specific urethane coating that offers many benefits. Foremost, it provides excellent abrasion resistance which will be needed given the traffic on the helipad. Also the coating resists harmful UV rays from the sun that cause yellowing or chalking of the paint, making it a durable coating system for outdoor use.
Name of Job: Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital
Number of Crew Members: 4
Condition & Type of Substrate: Corroded steel from weather
Problem: The original coatings on the helipad had worn away, creating a safety concern due to low visibility for helicopter pilots.
Solution: Installed a multi-coat urethane system to strengthen the steel, protect the pad from abrasion, and resist the sun’s harmful rays.
Materials Used: Sherwin William’s Industrial Coatings
Goals: Safety, Quality, & On-time! Every time.
With over 35 years of experience, TMI Coatings will have your project completed on time and within budget. Contact us today at for your free, no obligation quote.