Lead is detrimental to our health if exposed for long periods or if ingested. TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) is an SSPC QP2 certified contractor, which allows us to safely remove and properly manage hazardous coating material in the field. The representative from the malting company requested that TMI encapsulate the lead paint on their bolted cone bottoms so it doesn’t contaminate their product. Lead encapsulation is the process of coating over the previously painted lead-rich paint and is significantly less invasive than lead abatement, thus a more suitable option for most companies. TMI completed this work on time and minimal interruption to the owner’s production.
- TMI’s crew members went to the clinic for blood tests before work occurred.
- TMI laid a poly cover on the floors, enclosed the area with scaffold and poly to contain lead paint chips, and quickly cleaned up the hazardous material after complete surface preparation.
- TMI removed all loose paint with diamond grinders with attached HEPA vacuums.
- TMI applied an epoxy rust-inhibiting primer by brush and roller.
- Finally, TMI applied a topcoat material suitable for the malting environment.
- TMI completed a thorough clean-up of the job site before demobilization.
- Lastly, the same crewmembers returned to the clinic again for another blood test to ensure they weren’t exposed to toxic levels of lead.
TMI takes lead encapsulation seriously because of the risks associated with the hazardous material. TMI was able to complete the work on time and safely. The owner was pleased with the result and looks forward to working with TMI again.