17 tall silos were restored by TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) for CertainTeed at their Michigan manufacturing facility. The manufacturing facility silos were in severe need of a new paint job. The corporate office sent TMI a request for a quote to complete this work; after numerous meetings with corporate personnel and on-site staff, they selected TMI due to our safety record, successful history with other CertainTeed locations, and our experience completing work of similar size. The corrosion started causing pitting of the steel in numerous areas; plus, the corrosion was creating a slipping hazard on the roofs of the silos. The silos ranged in height from 50 feet to 72 feet, all 12-foot diameter. TMI followed the owner’s specification to complete this work promptly and most importantly, safely.
- TMI pressure washed each of the silos and roofs entirely, using Chlorid to remove all dirt, dust, and containments.
- Where specified TMI wet abrasive blasted with coal slag and mitigated dust.
- TMI then mechanically abraded and feathered back edges where specified with hand grinders, and wire brush cleaned all pitted areas.
- Next, TMI primed all corroded areas with Sherwin-Williams Macropoxy.
- After, TMI applied one full primer coat of Sherwin Williams Macropoxy on the entire silo.
- Finally, one full topcoat of Sherwin-Williams Acrolon was applied by brush and roller.
- On the roofs, TMI added aggregate into the coating material to create a non-slip finish for safety.
After the job, Mara, a Buyer Analyst at CertainTeed, said, “We were told that TMI completed the project and did an excellent job restoring and painting the silos. Safety and quality were excellent, and the site said great things about your crew. I wanted to thank you for all your hard work. We will keep TMI in mind for future projects and highly recommend you for other sites.” Here at TMI, we love happy customers. Another project was completed, on time, on budget, and safely by TMI.