TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) was contracted to repair, restore, and coat the ceiling of a meat production facility for one of the largest meat suppliers in the U.S. The ceiling had experienced significant deterioration to dozens of areas on the concrete ceiling. As a result of the deterioration, the structural integrity of the ceiling was at question due to exposed rebar throughout most of the ceiling and the existing coating was no longer providing any benefit or protection to the concrete. With the help from an engineering firm, TMI came up with a plan to reinforce the ceiling to ensure safety to the meat production facility workers. TMI devised a plan to complete this project on time, safely, and on budget.
- TMI abided by all strict OSHA laws and regulations about working from heights. All crew members were properly tied off above 4’ high.
- TMI poly-covered all vulnerable equipment or items not to be coated.
- TMI chipped out and mechanically abraded all deteriorated concrete to ensure all loose and disbanded concrete was removed.
- In specified areas, TMI installed new rebar for increased structural integrity.
- In areas where exposed rebar, TMI wire brush cleaned the rebar, then applied a rust-inhibiting epoxy primer.
- TMI restored the eroded areas to surrounding plan using MasterEmaco S488CI.
- Finally, TMI applied two full coats of an epoxy suitable for USDA inspected facilities by brush and roller to protect the newly restored areas and structural integrity of the ceiling.
The USDA approved coating will provide a thorough and safe environment for years to come. The concrete ceiling is now also stronger and more durable, the integration of new rebar and mortar to repair the concrete ensures no issues will come from underneath the coating. Structural integrity is a necessity when also providing a durable coating. TMI successfully completed this job on time and on budget for the meat production facility.