TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) has the experience and knowledge needed to repair, restore, and protect concrete silo roofs with a product specifically designed to handle ponding water and consistent foot traffic.
An animal feed company asked TMI to repair their leaking concrete silo roofs. While removing the existing roofing and preparing the roof’s surface for new coatings, our Superintendent noted large areas of damaged, punky, and soft concrete that were in need of repair prior to coating. After fixing the deteriorated concrete, two coats of an asphalt-based urethane elastomer were applied in a heavy-duty, thick-film manner. The chosen coating system has high elongation properties and long-term flexibility, which is beneficial in climates that see temperature shifts of 100+° throughout the year.
- TMI pressure washed the entire surface to ensure it was clean and all loose or delaminating coating was removed. TMI also abraded 100% of the roof to ensure there is a surface profile for the adhesion of the coating.
- Used a non-sagging cementitious mortar to restore the deteriorated areas to the surrounding plane. This special mortar dries quickly and allows for timely recoating.
- Sealed around all penetrations, and in some areas, embedded scrim cloth or mat reinforcement into liquid urethane for a thorough waterproof seal.
- To all the bare concrete and metal, TMI applied a bonding primer.
- Next, we applied the asphalt-based urethane elastomer roofing system.
- For slip resistance, incorporated aggregate into the final coat of the system.
At the conclusion of the project, the owner was impressed with our Superintendent and crew that completed the work. The roof is now waterproofed, allowing for the precious grain inside the silos to be safe from the ever-changing weather.
With over 35 years of experience, TMI Coatings will have your project completed on time and within budget. Contact us today at for your free, no obligation quote.