TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) was recently contracted to apply a chemical-resistant lining to a severely eroded wastewater concrete pit for a biofuels plant in West Texas. This work was performed on an emergency basis during a critical outage. TMI mobilized quickly and provided a solution that would withstand constant immersion in this corrosive environment and cure rapidly to enable the TMI crew to complete the work promptly.
- Before our arrival, the owner pressure-washed all surfaces using hot water and an industrial degreaser and further sandblasted to remove all oils and residue from the concrete. Our start was delayed due to excessive grease/oil residue that was still present on the concrete surfaces. TMI assisted the owner in removing these surface contaminants.
- TMI then completed further surface preparation, including sandblasting, grinding, and chipping out failed loose concrete.
- We then began restoring the concrete pit to the surrounding plane utilizing a shotcrete machine to install mortar at an average depth of 2”-3” on 80% of the surface area in the basin. All applied mortar was back troweled to achieve a smooth finish in preparation for applying the lining system.
- TMI navigated working in close proximity to other contractors on site. There were instances where work was shut down for overhead crane lifts and where water leaked into the pit from adjacent water jetting activities. We utilized sump pumps to aid in drying out the pits and collaborated with the owner to ensure our work wasn’t further affected by these water
- In more severely eroded areas, TMI installed rebar as needed, formed, and poured the mortar into place.
- Once the mortar had cured, TMI applied a vinyl ester FIBERLIFE lining system. This system consists of a prime coat, two intermediate coats with a fiberglass mat embedded into the coating, and a final wax coat. An epoxy vinyl ester resin is used on all coats for maximum chemical resistance.
The project was completed within the owner’s critical shutdown. TMI was able to complete this challenging project on time and safely. TMI has the experience, knowledge, and crews to quickly complete some of the most difficult projects.