A large manufacturing plant contracted TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) to complete a silo base coating project on the interior and exterior of several large silos. The project consisted of six large silos. The chime long the base of the silos had developed lots of rust over the years. The Owner requested for TMI to remove the rust from the silos and re-seal the bases in order to protect the silos from further deterioration. TMI recommended a urethane elastomer protective coating to be applied. This system creates an impenetrable seal, and is perfect for outdoor environments due to its flexibility.
- Poly-wrapped sensitive equipment for protection when sandblasting and applying coatings.
- For interior skirt: Sandblasted the surface to SSPC-SP6 Commercial Blast specifications.
- For exterior silo: Pressure washed with 4,000 psi pressure washers to clean the surface and remove any contaminants.
- Utilized hand tools to prepare surfaces further. Removed all rust and failing coatings.
- Applied a rust-inhibitive epoxy primer that offers maximum protection against corrosion.
- Installed two full coats of urethane elastomer coating in a thick film finish to all surfaces.
The applied urethane elastomer coating bonds tenaciously to the metal /concrete substrate. The coating provides substantial resistance to chemicals and is UV-resistant. Urethane elastomer is much more flexible than other coatings and thus it will expand and contract in changing temperatures maintaining a thorough seal. Because of this, your structure will be protected from corrosion and weathering. TMI Coatings was able to successfully complete the silo base coating project by restoring each silo chime to completely seal off from moisture. These silos will no longer be subjected to corrosion, and will be functional much longer.
With over 35 years of experience, TMI Coatings will have your project completed on time and within budget. Contact us today at for your free, no obligation quote.