When asked about the silo roof waterproofing job, the location leader said, “Everything went well in accordance with the plan, minus the weather difficulties. The crew did well and overall, very happy with the project and work TMI Coatings provided.”
Recently TMI Coatings was hired by an agricultural grain company to repair and restore several concrete silo roofs and headhouse roof. The concrete silos are prone to water leaking due to concrete being a porous material as well as damage because of weather. Over time, the silos began to leak and the concrete to erode because of previously installed product not suitable for environment. The silos store valuable commodities and need to be properly coated to safe keep those products. TMI has the valuable knowledge and experience to provide the right solution with the right products and complete the project safely and within your schedule.
- Pressure wash with 4,000 psi pressure washers to remove dust, dirt, debris, contaminants, and existing roof coating.
- Remove all old, failing caulk/existing roofing material.
- Mechanically abrade all surface to clean and roughen surface for new coating adhesion.
- Apply a coat of urethane elastomer around all penetrations and embed scrim cloth, as necessary.
- Apply two full coats of urethane elastomer coating to the tops of the silos to provide a waterproof seal.
- Finally add aggregate into the urethane elastomer for a non-slip finish.
TMI utilizes urethane elastomer for our silo roof waterproofing projects because it provides protection against erosion of concrete and a waterproof seal. This specific coating can expand and contract with the changing seasons and is made not to crack, chip or peel. This coating also does not promote mold or mildew growth due to its adaptability in any environment. Our urethane elastomer products are very popular within the grain industry.