The City of Brush, Colorado had seen significant corrosion on the interior and exterior of their 2.3 MG potable water storage tank which called for a complete tank restoration project. Some of the defects included deformities in the steel that needed welding to repair. Corrections were competed to the surface of the tank to ensure the longevity of the coating that seamlessly cover and protect the steel underneath while providing safe storage for clean drinking water for the community. TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) has the knowledge, skill, and experience to restore any steel or concrete structure.
- Remove debris and unwanted materials from inside the tank
- Weld repair all major flaws in the steel
- Sandblast the entire structure, in a dustless manner to create a suitable surface for coating adhesion
- Use of environmentally friendly recyclable blast media in lieu of abrasive (sand) that ends up in the landfill
- Application of zinc, a sacrificial coating applied to the steel that will rust itself to protect the steel tank if the epoxy barrier coatings are damaged over the years
- Applied two coats of high solids epoxy suitable for potable water to the interior of the water structure
- Disinfected the interior including laboratory testing to ensure clean water is safe for drinking
- On the exterior, we used a robotic blast machine (with no emissions) to remove old paint and create a surface profile for new paint adhesion
- Again, we used environmentally friendly recyclable blast media in lieu of abrasive (sand) that ends up in the landfill
- Applied two coats of high solids epoxy to the exterior for superior corrosion and barrier protection of the steel substrate
- Applied a high solids polyurethane finish to the exterior for exceptional gloss and color retention for years to come
The final coating does not do justice to the complete restoration of the tank underneath. TMI’s staff completely restored the structure prolonging its life. The welding, sandblasting, and grinding of the original steel ensures any irregularities are taken care of. Next, we applied the primer and subsequent coatings. Only the best products are used during these procedures to create a durable protective coating with a pleasing final finish. The City of Brush, Colorado can be assured their water storage tank is now fully restored, safe to use, and will supply the community for years to come.
Every structure experiences deterioration. It is what you do to restore them that determines the safety, longevity, and usefulness for your facilities. TMI Coatings is driven by our endless desire to restore America’s infrastructure.
With 35 years of experience, TMI Coatings will have your project completed on time and within budget. Contact us today at for your free, no obligation quote.