Installing tank linings during plant shutdowns is complex, however, TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) was able to successfully line three tanks in a short period of time with proper planning and implementation. The Director of Facilities mentioned, “The [TMI Coatings] guys got in and did all the work according to schedule. We haven’t had any issues at all.”
Andersen Windows & Doors took notice of corrosion in some of their holding tanks. They asked TMI to assess the situation and fully restore these tanks. Tank linings are often subjected to different chemicals, varying temperatures, and possible abrasions. After collecting all the information from the Director of Facilities, we consulted with our engineers to determine the best tank lining for the environment. TMI recommended installing our FIBERLIFE tank lining manufactured by Dow Chemical company, which is suitable for the chemicals within the holding tanks due to FIBERLIFE’s superior durability and chemical resistance.
- Diamond grinded 100% of areas to prepare surface for new coating by removing all surface contaminants and old coatings.
- Installed the FIBERLIFE Tank Lining System:
- Applied a vinyl ester primer to 100% of area suitable for steel, aluminum, and concrete
- Applied one coat of Dow Chemical Derakane resin and embedded fiberglass mat into resin
- Applied another coat of Derakane resin to completely cover the surface area
- Grinded area to reduce exposed fibers for relatively smooth finish
- Applied flood coat of Derakane to thoroughly seal the fiberglass mat and coatings underneath
- Applied one final coat of wax per the manufacturer’s recommendation
The FIBERLIFE system is well known for its superior resistance to chemicals; it can withstand both acids and alkalis at various temperatures. The embedded fiberglass mat provides durability and additional protection. Our experienced field workers are experts with its complex installation. TMI has installed this system at many other facilities throughout the country with great success. It is commonly applied to ceilings, walls, interior of tanks, sumps, and containments. This work was complete safely and in a quality manner for Andersen Windows & Doors.