One of the world’s largest food production companies contracted TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) to safely restore and waterproof two underground vaults. These vaults contain valuable electrical equipment that is vital to the day-to-day operation of the food production facilities. Obviously, subjecting electronics to water is quite dangerous, however, TMI’s commitment to working with owners to listen to their problems provided TMI with the opportunity to provide a safe and long-term solution. TMI completed this work on a compressed weekend schedule during a plant outage and successfully provided them with an underground waterproofing solution to protect their vulnerable equipment.
- Removed standing water and performed lock-out of all electrical components.
- Sandblasted the interior floor and walls to remove contaminants from the concrete and prepare the substrate for subsequent coatings.
- Identified potential areas where water infiltration was occurring.
- Drilled several holes for injections.
- Utilized epoxy injection material to restore the structural integrity of the concrete.
- Restored any eroded areas, cracks, and filled any holes prior to any coatings.
- Installed a waterproofing membrane coating system to the walls and floor in both vaults resulting in a durable underground waterproofing solution.
Working with electrical equipment is never easy. However, TMI Coatings has over 35 years of experience in restoring infrastructure. For this project, the vaults were structurally impaired. Water was slowly seeping through concrete which comprised the safety of various electrical equipment. After thorough safety precautions and surface preparation, TMI was able to identify weak points within the substrate where water was leaking through. Epoxy injections were inserted in these areas which blocked any water and strengthened the walls and floors as well. Finally, a waterproof coating system was applied to both vaults. This system will provide protection for the electrical equipment and enhance the durability of the structures. Underground waterproofing is essential for all types of business especially when electrical components are apparent.