Containment Dike Lining
TMI Coatings installs containment liners for splash and spill (short-term) contact with various chemicals. Containment dikes must be lined to protect from concrete deterioration and groundwater contamination due to acid, petroleum products, and other chemical spills.
Containment Dike Liner Installation Process
- Punky, deteriorated and hollow concrete is removed to sound substrate.
- Epoxy mortar is used to restore the concrete to the original plane.
- In some instances, an owner will request the floor of the dike be sloped to the sump or drain. TMI can slope the concrete floor toward the sump or drain.
- The entire surface is mechanically abraded with handheld electric diamond grinders to clean and roughen, creating an anchor pattern for new coating adhesion.
- Dust collection on diamond grinders is done with specialty vacuums.
- The dike is then coated with a protective coating to contain liquids in the event of a spill or tank rupture.
Containment Dike Liner Case Study
TMI Coatings installed a protective coating/containment lining in two separate areas of a methanol tank storage dike and a loading/unloading area addition for a paper coating manufacturer. The containment lining system for the methanol tank storage area consisting of TMI FIBERLIFE with vinyl ester resin which is suitable for and resistant to many various types of chemicals to protect the substrate.
The loading/unloading area received a 1/4″ cementitious urethane system which is also suitable and resistant to various types of chemicals and can withstand the vehicular traffic for the large trucks that were to be driving over this area. Work was completed in late fall due to the very wet summer and construction schedule delays. The general contractor tarped and heated the outdoor area to allow a dry and warm substrate which are required for proper adhesion of the materials.
TMI’s Superintendent Mark Behrens was awarded TMI’s Project of the Year due to its difficulty, the success of the project and customer satisfaction. Customer stated, “Everything is good. Great TMI team to work with. Thorough on explanation and procedures and did what they said they were going to do.”