A Fortune 100 company reached out to TMI Coatings, Inc. (TMI) to clean and paint a large steel conveyor that unloads barges. TMI has completed various concrete and steel restoration projects for this company in the past throughout the U. S. The unloading conveyor consisted of many steel parts showing significant deterioration due to the salt environment. The steel was deeply pitted and had rusted out in some areas due to the corrosive nature of salt. TMI was asked to protect the steel through cleaning, blasting, and applying a full epoxy/urethane coating system. Due to freezing weather at the time of this project, our crew applied paints suitable for cold-temperature applications.
- Poly-wrapped all vulnerable equipment for protection
- Power washed the surface with a special additive designed to remove salt and grease and prevent rust
- Conduct chloride tests to ensure no salts remained prior to coating
- Unbolted and removed fiberglass grating for access to steel members
- Needle gun areas of extensive pack rust
- Sandblasted all steel members to SSPC-SP 6 Commercial Blast
- Apply epoxy stripe coat to all bolts and severely corroded metal areas
- Installed a multi-coat epoxy/urethane coating system to the steel substrate including safety yellow to the handrail and supports
Our crew undertook extensive measures to properly prepare the damaged steel substrate for the new coatings. A variety of different methods were needed to remove rust, eliminate salt residue, and clean off any grease or oil. After surface preparation, the conveyor was spot primed to protect more vulnerable areas of the steel structure. A full epoxy intermediate coat was applied followed by a urethane top coat to all areas. This protective coating system provides advanced durability and resistance to corrosion, chemicals, and abrasions. TMI Coatings completed another successful steel restoration project for this company and is ready to take on any of your structural problems as well.
Name of Job: Cargill Salt
Number of Crew Members: # 3
Condition & Type of Substrate: Corroded Steel
Problem: The customer’s barge unloading conveyor was beginning to corrode and was showing serious signs of deterioration
Solution: Removed all failed coatings, rust, and other contaminants and installed a high-quality epoxy/urethane coating to restore the structure and extend its longevity
Materials Used: Epoxy
Goals: Safety, Quality, & On-time!
With 35 years of experience, TMI Coatings will have your project completed on time and within budget. Contact us today at for your free, no obligation quote.